Friday, October 29, 2010

Another Hunt

I know you are probably getting tired of all these hunting stories and pictures. But the season is almost done. Plus I remind Jon that not all years are going to be like this. Next year he will have a son around, and he wont be able to leave us so much. Needless to say Jon has been soaking up as much as he can.

Dad had one elk tag left that was only good the last week of October. So of course he invited Jon to come along. Now it was a Hare tag - which means they could shoot a cow, bull or spike.

Sage and I missed this experience and went to Portland instead.

The funny thing is that this hunt lasted about an hour and a half!! I know right. Dad and Jon left camp heard some elk, followed them, sat and waited. Now I can not give this story justice for 2 reason: 1) I was not there, so it is all second hand 2) It is just something that you have to see for yourself.

As Dad and Jon were sitting there, they kept seeing elk coming out of the trees into an open clearing. This is not just like 10 elk, a lot more kept coming out. So Dad and Jon were showing patience waiting for the one they wanted. (they decided that they would shoot a bull). Enough had come out that they thought there window was closing. Just as they thought this, they heard a load noise and some of the elk scattered. It was a big bull that was crashing his antlers against the trees. And guess what happened...more elk came out! So they took a shot at one that was a really good size (or at least they thought) and it went down. A few elk scattered, but not enough.

Now Dad and Jon did not want to spook the elk since the local rancher and friend were hunting the next day. So they just sat there. They sat for like an hour watching all these elk around them. Just behind them 40 yards were 2 cows laying down. Now Dad guesses that there was around 100 elk!! That is just amazing.

After waiting they finally got to go check on their kill. I would say it was a nice 6-point kill, if I do say so myself.





So what do you do the rest of the trip when you have completed the hunt the first day?? Come home early!! They were home by Friday, which mom and I were not quite ready, but it was nice. Than we spent Saturday cutting up meat. It was nice to end the season filling all tags. I do not know the last time Dad did that. And we are fully aware that it will probably never happen again.

1 comment:

lance said...

There are two songs that are relivent:

"Elk Hunt" The Last of the Mohicans.

"Elk Song" Erica Wheeler.